Wednesday, September 14, 2011

No, I was not kidnapped by Wookies!

It has been a few days since I last posted and I know I said I would continue shedding light on the evil that is Obi-Wan Kenobi but, truth be told, the Blu-ray set launches in a few more days and I will do my research then rather than watch the movies on plain old DVD.

In the meantime I decided to start doing Flashback images of my original Kenner action figures from 1977 and so forth. I thought it would be fun to compare the "Now and Then" look of these figures with their more modern counterparts. Of course there are on occasion several newer versions of these figures but I will be choosing the one I feel best represents the character with the most advancements in sculpt, articulation and overall coolness.

First up; Momaw Nadon or "Hammerhead" if you care to stick to the 1978 naming convention.


It was probably my love of Hammerhead sharks as a kid that made this particular Cantina denizen a favorite of mine. Sure, he only had a few seconds of screen time but he was cool none-the-less. Being an alien in a seedy Tatooine bar Kenner chose to include a blaster accessory with the figure when it was originally released but that was long before any sort of back-story was created. Fast-forward a few years and we eventually learn Momaw Nadon is a pacifist and former Ithorian High Priest with a fondness for sheltering Rebel operatives on Tatooine. The 2006 version of the character from Hasbro saw fit to give Nadon a priestly staff along with a cantina beverage glass and an end table (not shown). Although there are more accessories and the 2006 version is a far more superior sculpt there is only one extra point of articulation (his waist) over the five points (neck, arms x2, legs x2) found on the 1978 counterpart. Perhaps Momaw Nadon will see another update in the future with the SA (Super Articulation) treatment so he can actually pull up a stool and have a seat at the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment