Sunday, November 22, 2015

What A Piece Of Junk!

The much anticipated update to the Star Wars Battlefront game has finally been released on a multitude of platforms and after having been mostly underwhelmed by the Beta version I can say that the full release isn't much better.
It is a beautiful looking game. It looks and feels like the scenes we've watched on the big screen and you do get to immerse yourself in the Star Wars universe for some fun Stormtrooper blasting (or Rebel blasting if you join the Dark Side) but the controls and general interface of the game are clunky, cumbersome and downright a pain-in-the-ass to use.
First off, for the main screen interface, you need to be born with Hawkeye's abilities from The Avengers. The fonts and icons are incredibly small and that's me playing on a 47" Flatscreen from nominal viewing distance. I think it was developed for computer platforms rather than gaming systems.
Part of the lack-luster game-play may come from the sense that I have been playing Bungie's Destiny for the past year and a half and its game flow is far superior. It's like driving a Ferrari for a living and then being told you will have to commute to work with a Smart Car.
If you are not a fan of Star Wars I honestly believe you will get absolutely nothing out of Star Wars Battlefront. It is definitely not a game worth owning. I'm extremely glad I passed on the $69 Season Pass.
All that said the game does have one redeeming quality. You do get to do missions with vehicles (although not in space). X-Wings! TIE Fighters! This is something that has been missing from the gaming world for a long while. Is it worth the price tag? I feel a bit ripped off having paid $89 plus tax for the Deluxe Edition but at least I'm having fun behind the cockpit of an X-Wing.
Maybe there will be some upgrades to the gaming engine down the road, but until then this game rates two stars out of five for me. I'd rather be levelling up my Warlock and putting a few new holes in Oryx, The Taken King.

No comments:

Post a Comment