Friday, August 26, 2011

The FanExpo Begins!

I managed to make it down to the FanExpo tonight after work with just under two hours left in the day. First and foremost I wanted to pick up my Deluxe Pass so that I wasn't stuck in the long entry lines on Saturday morning. Last year I waited in line behind some guy in an ill-fitting Spider-Man cosutme. Loose spandex I can handle; Extra tight spandex on a doughy fanboy isn't worth the price of admission.

The next big thing on my agenda was to pick up the K-Mart Exclusive B-Wing fighter that Hasbro was offering to FanExpo patrons. Word on the street was that there was only a limited quantity available and I was slightly concerned about not getting one.

Well, I got one.


The B-Wing was one of my favorite ships and until now I never had one in my collection. This Exclusive is essentially the same vehicle released a couple of years ago with an Expanded Universe paint application. I'm not big on the EU for a bunch of reasons and I passed on that B-Wing in hopes of a movie version down the road. The biggest difference with this Return of the Jedi ship is the upgraded and highly detailed cockpit and the blue-grey paint application. Good things come to those who wait.


The cockpit has more molded detailing with added flight-control grips that actually swivel in and out.

The biggest concern, raised most recently by the vintage Toys R Us Exclusive Y-Wing, was how the pilot would actually fit into this new cockpit. The Y-Wing requires some specific leg positioning for the current pilots and considerable force is needed to squeeze them into the seat. Fortunately there is enough room with in new B-Wing cockpit to seat him properly without much fuss. I have wookie hands so my fingers were a tad fumbley on the first attempt as I tried to work around the canopy and the rotating cockpit made me curse a few times but all was good in the end. Palso Thern, the B-Wing pilot from the Battle Over Endor battle pack, has a sweet new ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment